Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Autumn Equinox

autumn fog by evgeni dinev 25 Beautiful Autumn pictures



Say goodbye to Summer. Today marks the Autumn equinox; an occurrence that happens twice a year - once in September and once in March marking Spring.

image
The word equinox, means "equal night", signifying the balance of equal hours of daylight and hours of darkness (or close to it). Wiccan and pagan cultures and other groups in antiquity celebrate or celebrated these changes with rituals, yet today living in a society that does not always acknowledge these changes so openly I think it's important to remember that we are still very much apart of the cycles of nature.
 Every couple of months as the celestial spheres turn and the elements change from cold to warm and  transitions from each. As nature reinvents itself we can use it as an opportunity for ourselves.

So... I've made some personal promises myself, now that it's a new season and also the beginning of a new school year(my last full year at university, probably ahh!)

Here are some goals I have for myself:

  • Wake up and sleep earlier..... I am the farthest thing to a morning person. I stay up til the early mornings doing god knows what, and can't get up the next day. However I do like how many things I'm able to do when I do wake up early and even though it feels like the worst thing ever when someone wakes me up haha  I need and should remind myself that it's only a temporary feeling and once you get over it the results are rewarding and productive.
  • Make plans...Being busy is always an excuse. You're always going to be busy with something...It's all about priorities. And as for maintaining relationships with people sometimes you gotta go ahead and initiate plans with people. Yeah, it takes effort, and yes it might not always be easy but it's always worth it catching up with friends or meeting new people. 
  • Meditate... People always think of meditation as something formal that's done, in complete silence in the dark or whatever, that cliché image of a monk saying "om". Of course, that is a form of meditation but simply taking time to relax and be alone in a stress free zone for a couple of moments can suffice. Take it easy.  Sometimes when things get overwhelming all you can do is take a deep breath and remember you're apart of something much bigger than yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment